Our EMEA team recently had the opportunity to participate in a Webinar conducted by International SOS which is the world’s leading medical and travel security services company. International SOS helps organizations protect assignees across the globe. Their teams work in more than 700 locations in 76 countries.
What you need to know:
• Affected area: The Ebola outbreak currently affects three countries in West Africa: Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. Limited cases were reported in Nigeria from people traveling across borders.
• Risk: There is a high risk that the virus will spread to countries directly bordering Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone, but there is only a moderate risk that it will affect other countries within West Africa. At this time, it seems unlikely that the virus will spread outside of West Africa.
• Cases reported: As of August 5th, about 1440 cases of Ebola were reported during this outbreak, resulting in 826 fatalities.
• Dedicated hospitals and facilities: Throughout the affected region, there are dedicated treatment centers available that provide quarantine for infected people.
Recommendations to companies who have expats in the area:
• Stay up to date on current news as the situation evolves hourly.
• Stay in communication with your expats in the area.
• The recommendations for business travelers and expats in the area is to avoid hospitals if they have not been in contact with the virus.
• It is recommended that clients get with their emergency briefing provider such as International SOS to assess the need to remove people from the region. It might not be necessary to pull people out if they are at no risk of infection.
The full array of information about the outbreak is at International SOS and the link to their website is: https://www.internationalsos.com/ebola.